Every few years, a new song comes out that has its own dance moves. And before you know it, everyone is doing it. Below is a list of five, both old and new dances move you should teach your kids.
- The Macarena: This 1990s Spanish dance song was once considered the greatest one-hit wonder of all time. In fact, your kids might even know it, especially since it was performed by the infamous Miss Piggy in the 2014 movie Muppets Most Wanted. But even if it’s new to them (and you), you still master the dance in under 20 minutes.
- The Cha Cha Slide: “Everybody clap your hands!” for this song and dance by Mr. C. This one requires no memorization and very little coordination, for that matter. All you do is put song on and listen for direction. Word to the wise: You may want to clear a little space before you start since there’ll be a lot hopping, sliding and “backing it up.”
- YMCA: Your kids probably don’t know sings it, but they’ve surely heard it. Despite having been released in the 1970s, YMCA’s popularity is still going strong. With a little practice, your kids can quickly become pros at this one as they learn how to move their arms into the letter’s shapes.
- Thriller: This horror-themed dance is the perfect thing to shake up an otherwise boring an afternoon, although it’s probably better suited to older kids. Known for its fancy footwork, this song and dance can turn the most boring of days into a fun one.
- Vogue: Channel your inner Material Girl, “go with the flow” and “let your body move to the music.” Musical legend Madonna’s video is easy to follow and the movements for this song aren’t too tricky to learn.
- Chicken Dance: Definitely a hit with the little ones, this easy, four-step, highly repetitive dance is among the easiest to learn. Even toddlers can shake their tail feathers all day long.
- Gangnam Style:
The 2015 hit by was the first video that reached hit two billion views on YouTube.As fun as it is to dance to, it will then be stuck in your head for weeks. Note: The video does show women in short shorts and crop tops, which some parents may not find appropriate.
So, what are you waiting for? Dancing is the perfect way to bond with your kids and even learn a few new moves for the dance floor! You’re never too old or young to dance!
So, what are you waiting for? Learn the Turkey Trot in time for Thanksgiving and you can your fancy footwork on Turkey Day! Grab your dancing shoes and hit the floor!
Dance on it to our location at: 1711 N College Ave, Bloomington, IN 47404. Or call us at: (812) 334-0553.